Sunday, September 05, 2004

Crystal blue Italian time-vortex of never-ending misery

I was riding home on the bus the other day, listening to the bus driver’s radio when Manic Monday by the Bangles came on. I hadn’t heard this song for many years but I was immediately reminded of something about the song that bothers me.

To refresh your memory, here’s a summary of the song’s core business: It’s another manic Monday (which the narrator doesn’t like). She wishes it was Sunday (because that’s her fun day, her ‘I don’t have to run’ day). But alas it is indeed another manic Monday.

To sum up: Monday, boo hiss. Sunday, yay! But what always bothered me is that Sunday is, as you probably learnt at University, the day immediately before Monday. The narrator’s point of miserable reflection is 6 AM Monday morning. It is her wish to be returned to the previous day but, as sure as shit follows chocolate, no sooner will she have got into the swing of her fun day when she will be catapulted into another manic Monday.

Yes, yes, I know, ‘Monday’ doesn’t rhyme with ‘Friday happy hour’…

But there is something very uncomfortable and sisyphean about wishing to be returned to a happier time, a time immediately before your current period of misery.

The song should be something like:

It’s just another manic Monday.
I wish it was Sunday.
It’s just another manic Monday.
I’m gonna shoot the whole day down.

Speaking of Sundays and Mondays… does/did anyone else experience the Sunday 2pm blues (felt as a kind of sudden gut churn)? You’re well and truly into your ‘I don’t have to run’ day when you suddenly realise that you have to go to work tomorrow. Lurch.

Why can’t we all go and live in the trees like pixies, eating fruit and swapping tree-climbing anecdotes? Then every Monday could be a fun day, just like Sunday. Paradise for all time (until you get eaten by Morlocks).





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?