Thursday, October 07, 2004

Oh you bright and risen alpha-numerals!

You may have noticed the viking squirrel creature that now adorns my side-bar (I finally worked out how to have images in my blog -- in your face, Internet!).

As well as swearing to dispatch my enemies to Valhalla, he is also the spokes-rodent for NaNoWriMO. You may be forgiven for thinking NaNoWriMo is some kind of microscopic versifying machine (I said, you may be forgiven for thinking...microscopic etc....geddit?).

NaNoWrimo (which you maybe be forgiven for thinking is the last Japanese Prime Minister) stands for National Novel Writing Month. The idea is beautiful in its simplicity and its simple beauty. You sign up to write a 'novel' (being 50 000 words) in the month of November. And then you stop. And then you win the Booker prize.

50 000 in a month equates to an average of 1 700 which is possible but difficult. Oh so difficult. But the weight of the deadline should make something happen, or break me in the process.

The vague aim is to get a rough draft done so's I can work it into shape for next year's Vogel competition, which is restricted to those under 35.

I'm not getting any younger, you know!





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?